1. The sermons and teachings are always centered around health, wealth or prosperity.
2. Whatever topic the sermon is, it always ends up in the topic of “tithes and offering” or “giving”.
3. Blessings are always seen as a sign of God’s favor to a “holy” or “anointed” person or leader while on the other hand, trials and problems are a sign of “curse” or “lack of favor” to a believer. They cannot accept that Christians are meant and bound to suffer.
4. Old Testament promises of blessings especially to Abraham or on the nation of Israel are being applied to the New Testament believers.
5. Any teaching that says the apostles, disciples and/or Jesus Christ (while he was living on earth as a human) were materially rich.
6. The Pastor or Church Leaders do not want to show any accountability for church funds and wouldn’t report how church money was spent. In fact, they tend to treat church funds as their own personal funds and promote the teaching that once believers give money to the church they should no longer question where the money was spent.
7. They quote more from the likes of Kenneth Copeland, Benny Hinn, Creflo Dollar, Jesse Duplantis, and like-minded people instead of quoting from the bible.
8. They are full time ministers, meaning they have no other source of income but church funds, but are living lavish lifestyles while most of the members are poor. Leaders love status symbols such as a good house, luxury cars, luxury clothes and jewelry, travel abroad, etc.
9. They believe that Jesus’s atonement extends to the “sin” of material poverty. They teach that if you are living in poverty then there must be some “sin” or “lack of faith” in your life.
10. They promise that any donations or offerings to them or their church will be given back by God exponentially. If He doesn’t then it is your fault. See #9.
11. They teach that the tongue is powerful so if you keep confessing you will get rich then you will surely become so. Their tongue is even more powerful though so beware that you do not cross them or “touch the anointed” or else they will curse you.
12. Money is a ticket for promotion or preferential treatment in ministry, which means that richer members or converts tend to be given places of honor or position in the church even if there are more active and deserving people.
If you see more than one of these signs in your church then beware and pray.
For more reading: